Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Sweet Bean Paste Chicken Stew

Back in Miri, when I used to attend a small group meeting at Luak Bay, there was a friend who would always bring this dish for our pot bless dinners. The other day, I suddenly thought of my friend, and her signature dish ....

So I decided to cook it for myself. She never taught me how to cook it, so this would be based on how I thought it should be cooked.

Sweet Bean Paste Chicken Stew 

I had about 10 pieces of chicken, washed. Next, I pounded half a bulb of garlic, 1 chilli, 1 shallot and 1/2 inch of ginger together. Then I sautéed the pounded ingredients with about 1 tbsp of sweet bean paste. When it's aromatic, I added in my chicken. I fried it a bit before adding in the potatoes and a bit of water, and a dash of dark soy sauce. The mixture was then stewed over low fire till the sauce thickens and the chicken was fully cooked. Finally, I seasoned it with some sugar before serving. Yum! Great to eat with hot steamed rice!

2 comments:

  1. What you cook is a Peranakan dish - ayam pong teh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten an authentic version of ayam pongteh .... so yeah, I'd be happy to taste it sometime. I think ayam pongteh uses taucheo whereas I'm using the sweet taucheo ... not sure if that makes any difference, though. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...