Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reunion Dinner 2017

This CNY, I contributed 3 dishes to our reunion dinner, and all the dishes turned out very well. I made ....

 Japchae
This is my second attempt at this dish. The last time I made it, the noodles got a bit soggy, and the flavours did not come through. This time, I repeated Maangchi's recipe, and took more care in preparing the dish. And well, it paid off as it turned out really yummy.  The noodles cooked just right, and all the condiments were balanced in flavour. My Fifth Aunt liked the noodles so much that she asked for the recipe. Heh. 

Corn and Cucumber Salad
Well, this one was from Hot Thai Kitchen; I first at this at my friend C's house, and have loved it so much that I've made it myself for a couple of times already. So, I decided to make it for the family for our Reunion Dinner. Bro liked this tangy and refreshing salad, which was punctured with the rich yet slightly pungent flavour of the salted egg. 

Deep-fried Chicken Wings
Well, this one was a cheat. All I did was to marinate it with ginger juice. Then, I dipped the wings into the Kentucky flour batter. After that, I coated it with more Kentucky flour before deep-frying it. I guess it's not customary for us to have deep-fried chicken wings during our Reunion Dinner. Fourth Aunt seemed perplexed and asked me why I wanted to cook this as there were already many meat dishes. Anyway, she ate 1 piece and said that it tasted good. Hehe. 

Here was what we had ..... 

Left : Thai Cucumber and Corn Salad, Radish pickles, Cucumber Pickles, Rojak, Deep-fried prawns, Steamed fish, Deep-fried chicken wings, Midin salad, Meat rolls, BBQ meat and braised meat platter, Homemade braised duck, Mixed mushrooms and vegetables, Beef Rendang and Japchae.

Rojak and Midin were made by Fourth Aunt. Fifth Aunt brought the Beef Rendang. Mom cooked the rest. There was also Fish Maw soup, which Mom hadn't dished out when I took this photo. An abundance of food to kickstart the Year of the Fire Rooster! Let the celebrations begin! Happy CNY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...