Thursday, September 14, 2017

Kenny Rogers Roasters

The other day, Fifth Aunt and I went to Matta Fair, which was held at Boulevard Shopping Mall here in Kuching ... and so after we'd visited the booths and after we'd done some shopping, Fifth Aunt wanted to have dinner. She wanted to eat at Kenny Rogers Roasters. She told me that there was a "Buy 1 Free 1" promotion and that day was the last day .....

Hmn .... I'd not eaten at Kenny Rogers for such a long time .... my last visit was in 2014 in Miri .... and ever since then, I'd not have the urge to eat at here. So anyway, Fifth Aunt and I went to the shop, and enquired if the promotion was valid ....

The young lad here required Fifth Aunt to flash a photo of the voucher, which Fifth Aunt did. Heh. I did not even know of the existence of this promotion .... Fifth Aunt said she saw it in the social media ...

Promotional Gimmick courtesy of the recently-completed SEA Games in which Malaysia emerged victorious ... RM29.30 for 2 plates ...

So we sat for a while and then food was served .....

Muffin
Crumbly and sweet, served hot and tasted not too bad ...  

Creamy chicken or mushroom soup 
Heh ... I couldn't decide whether this was chicken or mushroom
I hated the fact that it was served lukewarm; obviously this was instant soup, and there were some awful lumps in there that were undiluted ...

A roasted quarter chicken. coleslaw, mashed potatoes, rice
I'm lost for words .... the roasted chicken tasted nothing like it used to .. and it was all lathered in some sort of a BBQ sauce .... 

What happened to the original wood-fired chicken?

Fifth Aunt and I remisnisced that time in 90s, when we were both students in KL ... and when a visit to Kenny Rogers Roasters would be a special treat. We remembered the freshly roasted chicken, still dripping with juices and flavoured with the smoke from pine wood .... I remembered eating at that outlet at Kota Raya ... I remembered the sour cream potatoes that I loved and also the pasta salad that I always ate with my chicken ....

Sigh ... today, even in the USA, Kenny Rogers Roasters has gone busted. So why are we still pay such high prices for sub-standard rotisserie chicken?

Even with that promotion today, I'd not eat here if it were up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...