Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chai Seafood @ Pending Seafood Centre

This evening, my parents and I went to Pending Seafood Centre to have dinner. Pending Seafood Centre is a no frills place, offering fresh seafood at reasonable prices.

There are many stalls there, but we always frequent Chai Seafood.


There weren't many diners tonight. So we only had to wait for about 10 minutes for our orders to arrive. While waiting, I concocted my cili padi & garlic soy sauce dip. An absolute essential which is good with everything!

Cili padi & garlic soy sauce dip

We ordered the Stir-fried Midin in Chinese Red Wine. Midin is a local fern that's soft and crunchy. The red wine adds flavour to the vegetables. This dish is neither too oily nor too salty.

Stir-fried Midin in Chinese Red Wine

The Yam and Fish in Claypot is lightly battered deep-fried fish chunks, slices of yam, leek, and spring onions in a milky broth. This is a perennial favourite of Mom and Dad.

Yam and Fish In Claypot

The yam slices were really crumbly, and the fish chunks were uber fresh, making the broth really tasty and sweet. The addition of milk to the broth gives it a richer taste. Because of that, I refrain from drinking too much of the soup, for fear that it will make me nauseous.

My bowl of yam and fish in milky broth

It was served boiling hot to the table, and one slurp of the soup burned my tongue! Lol.

Next, came the Oyster Omelette. This version does not seem to have any eggs in it. Instead, it is a crispy pancake thingy with oysters in the middle. Don't be deceived by its appearance as this oyster omelette is really quite tasty.

Oyster Omelette

The pastry is light and good enough to eat on its own. But it must be eaten hot as it gets soggy when cold.

Oysters in omelette

The oyster, however, is fresh and tasty too. This dish comes with fish sauce for dipping.

The crab dish was ordered especially for me. I love crabs. Tonight, I requested for the crabs to be stir-fried in salted egg. Dad asked for glass noodles in the crab.

Crab in Salted Eggs with Glass Noodles

The crab was stir-fried in curry leaves, chillies and salted egg. It was aromatic and really quite tasty. The problem was that by the time the crab arrived at the table, I was already too full to eat anything! We had to tapau most of the crab home.

Chrysanthemum tea

The bill amounts to only RM73.00, inclusive of 3 bowls of rice and a pot of chrysanthemum tea. Food portions are generous. Taste wise, not too salty, not too oily. What more is there to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...