Thursday, November 11, 2010

Eating Green

The fastest way to contribute to greening the environment is to turn vegetarian.

This afternoon, we decided to serve a vegetarian lunch to a panel of judges who came to evaluate us for the National Level Sustainable School Award.

Well, this concept came about when we found out that one of the judges was vegetarian. So instead of catering vegetarian to him alone, we decided to turn lunch into a green affair.

I was impressed with the effort that my colleagues put into preparing the meal. They cooked everything themselves!

They also went all the way out to set the table in accordance with the "green" theme.

Garnishes on the plate

The plate is decorated with a leaf and a roselle. I have no idea what is the name of the leaf. Daun ririk? I asked around but then no one could give me a name. My colleagues made a refreshing drink from the roselle.

So creative are my colleagues!! I loved the boat.

The boat was made of dried tree fronds, and lined with more leaves. Inside was the vermicelli salad.

We had Nuba Laya, which is riced wrapped in leaf. Traditionally, daun isip is used. I have no idea whether daun isip is the same as daun ririk? Hmn, anyway, I liked the rice as it was served really warm.

Nuba Laya

Then there's Kerabu Pegaga. I did not give it a try, as I was not too fond of this herb.

Kerabu Pegaga

Next is Rendang Nangka Muda. I liked the gravy a lot.

Jackfruit Rendang

I also liked the Brinjal in Satay Gravy. It's the first time I had my brinjal in a peanut sauce as is it more often cooked in sambal. Hence, it's an interesting

Brinjal in Satay Sauce

I also liked the Sambal Tempe.

Sambal Tempe

But my favourite dish today would be the Pucuk Ubi. These tapioca leaves were pounded finely and then stir fried with chilli, garlic, shallots and finely chopped turmeric leaves. It was so good that we asked for refills. Lol.

Pucuk Ubi

I could just have plain rice with pucuk ubi, forget about all the other dishes.

Gifts & souvenirs for our guests

Anyway, the judges were pretty impressed by our hospitality. Word got around, and tomorrow, another group of people from MMC are coming to visit us!!! **Shock**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...