Sunday, May 27, 2012

Traditional Buns

 S**** told me of this bakery at 4 1/2 mile Kuching which sells delicious buns. It's a norm for people queue up to buy at this corner no frills bakery.  At the front of the shop, there is a display rack, but according to S****, the rack is perpetually empty. There is never enough buns to fill up the rack as the buns are sold out as soon as they come out of the oven!! Ok. That sounded interesting. I made up my mind to queue up for some buns when in Kuching.

We reached there before noon to look for the shop, and managed to find it.
 

There wasn't any queue! Yippee. In the rack, I saw some Tau Sar (Red Bean Paste) Buns, Char Siu (BBQ meat) Buns. Meanwhile, the vendor lady was busy removing Butter Buns from a tray.

  Near empty ...

But I managed to buy some ...

BBQ Meat Bun, RM1.20

Red Bean Paste Bun, RM1.00 each

 Butter Bun, RM1.00 each

The buns were hot to touch, obviously fresh from the oven! While I was buying, a queue started to form behind me. 

People standing in line for some hot buns
I pried open each of the buns ... 

Generous with BBQ Meat, the filling is tasty ...

The red bean paste is not too sweet ...

But the butter milk filling is not rich and buttery enough for me ...

The buns were SUPER fresh, and therefore, tasted good. But most of all, I enjoyed the density and the texture of the bread. A wonderful treat with a hot cup of coffee. :))

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, my favourite bun shop. The shop itself is nothing much to look at, just a plain front with hardly any decoration. The baked buns are very nice but it’s their steamed buns you should go for. Every time a fresh tray comes out, it’s gone in minutes. The sad part is I can only buy them on Sundays since my workplace is very far and being Sunday, the queue’s the worst. The buns are fluffy and the fillings just ozzes out after taking your first bite. The auntie there says the recipe has been passed from generation to generation. On a side note the kolo mee at tar-zen is very popular too. Operated by a family who also sells laksa too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonsey for the information!! Steamed buns were available yesterday but I did not buy them. Darn! I should have given them a try. I'm interested in kolo mee and laksa at Tar-zen too. I guess it would be another drive out to the shop for me .... ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buns are nice, Boss is bad temper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I've never encountered the boss yet. And dun think I would want to.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...