Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sin Poh Poh

I came to eat here for two days in a row. This coffee shop is located at Jalan Padungan now. Last time, they used to operate at Ban Hock Road.

The first day, I was here for lunch. It was near noon time, and most of the food had already sold out. Both D and I ordered from the same stall.

D ordered the Ding Bian Hu, a Foochow delicacy, cooked by pouring rice flour batter over a heated wok and then broken up and slided into boiling hot broth in the wok. Normally,

 Ding Bian Hu, RM5.00 

Yummy

The dish was served really hot ... and D attempted to cool it off a little by stirring it around. Then I could see all the ingredients hidden in the broth - the pieces of flat rice flour pastry, the black fungus, carrots and green crinkly mustard, lily buds and fish balls. I helped myself to the soup, and liked the consistency which was not too starchy. The taste of the soup was quite heavenly too! Sweet and hearty. I'd love a bowl of Ding Bian Hu too, some other time, though. 

I had Mee Sua with Chicken Soup .... 

Mee Suah Chicken Soup, RM6.00

Here, the mee suah was served with poached egg, chicken and mushrooms. The red yeast chicken stood out because of its bright red colour. I loved the egg a lot ... cause the yolk was not overcooked and was still a bit runny. Yums. The soup had just a faint flavour of sweet red wine ... not bad, but I would loved lots of red wine in my soup, actually.

The next morning, Dad and I went to Noodle Descendents to takeaway noodles ....  it required about 40 minutes for our noodles to be ready. So Dad and I walked to Sin Poh Poh where we had laksa.

The laksa ingredients here could be customised ... one could have it plain without any meats and seafood, or with fishballs, or with clams and so on. I chose to have mine with chicken and prawns. That's the standard version.


Laksa, with chicken and prawns, RM6.00

Hmn ... the ingredients were standard, no complains. The broth ... was thick and rich, good consistency. But it had a strong clove flavour ..... not for those who dislike the overpowering taste of spice, Took a bit to get used to, but overall, it was alright. 

DS once told me that he liked the cha kueh here .... but I would have to try that some other time. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...