Monday, October 19, 2009

Inaugural Convocation

As the co-ordinator for the Form Six programmes in my school, I am in-charge of the first ever convocation organised by the school this year.

This year, we bought graduation robes, and had a ceremonial mace or cokmar specially designed and made.

Ceremonial mace on display

The event is this Thursday night at a hotel in town. We have invited the Divisional Educational Officer to officiate it.

As the organising chairperson, it is my responsibility to oversee the sub-committees. I will also head the rehearsals on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.

I feel slightly stressed now.

On top of that, some of the sixth formers are giving a lot of problems, because they are reluctant to comply to the school rules.

I felt very uncomfortable this morning, when a particular teacher came to complain to me about a few of them who were caught flouting school rules. Bad attitude. Disinterested in their studies.

Let me be clear, I will not defend the students. In my opinion, if they have done something wrong then they should be dealt with. However, there is a limit to what I can do apart from demeriting them, counselling them, and calling on their parents.

I really wish those difficult students would stop schooling and explore other options. After all, Form Six is not compulsory.

And so it makes me ponder if it is worth it to organise a convocation for this group of stubborn beings. Do they deserve to graduate at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...