Monday, April 23, 2012

Burgers @ Beach Republic

When I walked into the restaurant, The Burger Joint, the first person whom I saw was a Form 5 student at my school. Then came another Form 5 girl. They are both part-timers here.

"Hi, teacher," a deep voice greeted me.

I looked up, pleasantly surprised to see a former student, MC. He is now the manager here. Okie. So, this is familiar territory. ;p

My friend and I found ourselves seated at the sofa at a brightly lit corner of the restaurant. It was quite comfortable, actually.

Food and drinks had to be ordered at the cashier. There were specialty burgers and the local favourites, finger food and also desserts. Best of all, the price is rather affordable! 

My friend and I both decided to order our DIY burgers, made up of our favourite ingredients. Each item is charged at a different price.First, I picked my bun. There were 2 choices, between a sesame bun or a wheat bun. I chose a sesame bun, RM1.00. Then I selected the condiments. Plenty to choose from they were, such as onions, mushrooms, eggs and jalapeno. I selected pickles, RM1.90 and sliced cheddar cheese, RM2.50.

Next up is the choice of meats. There were beef, grilled or fried chicken to choose from. I asked for beef, RM3.90. Finally, a selection of sauces to go with the burger are available, such as curry sauce, laksa sauce, belacan sauce, garlic aioli and many more. I opted for wasabi mayonnaise, RM1.90.

 My order

My DIY burger
Well, guess what? I loved the burger!! The beef patty was yum - thick and juicy, kind of reminded me of the Angus burgers I had overseas. It had more substance than those beef burgers available at fast food outlets. The tangy pickles and the cheese would never go wrong with the beef, and the wasabi mayonnaise kind of held everything up together nicely. Yumm ...

My friend's DIY burger, made up of a toasted sesame bun, grilled chicken, onions, mushrooms, mozarella & wasabi mayonnaise, RM13.20

The DIY burgers are a novelty. I enjoyed selecting the ingredients, as much as I had enjoyed eating the burger itself. The restaurant itself is a nice place to chill out. I enjoyed myself lots - chatting with my friend while surfing on my phone via free Wi-fi and also listening to the hit music playing in the background. I'd gladly come back here again to hang out. 

Interview time :
Me : What time did you start working?
Student : 3 p.m.
Me : Till what time?
Student : 12 a.m. 
Me : How much is the pay?
Student : RM4.00 per hour.

Hmn. I thought it was quite dismal, but according to MC, it is considered a good rate for part-timers. Sigh. I could not help but feel sorry for my students as I watched them serving food and clearing tables the whole night for a mere RM4.00 per hour. Poor students. These are good kids, and it is very sad that they have to juggle between work and studies. But I suppose, this is the reality of life. Harsh and difficult to stomach.

Well, back to the restaurant here at Beach Republic, I like the casual atmosphere which helps to totally relax after work. Looking forward to come back. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...