Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Family Dinner

Fifth Aunt bought tickets to an association dinner; there were 15 tickets at her disposal .... and Second Aunt was commissioned to invite all the relatives to attend the dinner lest they go to waste. The tickets were RM35.00 each. Second Aunt, so ever efficient, called all the relatives .... and at the night of the dinner were quite many of my aunties and uncles and cousins present ... all from Mom's side of the family.

Because I was always away, I never joined them for any of such gatherings .... and that night was my first ever family occasion.

Dinner that night was at a community hall, and was catered by It Hng Teochew restaurant. I'd never eaten at It Hng before ... but because the restaurant was catering for the masses outside of the restaurant, I'd not expect too much as all the food would have been pre-cooked. True enough, the food was merely mediocre, both in taste and in presentation.

But this was what we had ....

  I think they forgot to put salt into the noodles ..... 

 The wanton were soggy already, and the jellied chicken tasted a bit scary .... 

 Fish maw soup I think .... for it had chopped bits of fish maw ... the taste was alright, but the texture was not good as it was too starchy .... 

 Fish steamed with minced meat paste .... first time I had my fish steamed that way .... quite interesting, really

 The chicken tasted alright .... but the pickled mango that was sprinkled on top looked a bit sorry .... 

 Steamed cabbage with scallops ..... too mashed up for me to like it .... 

The best dish of the night was this duck and yam pancake .... I think this is a Teochew specialty and it was really, really yum .... 

Though the food was not nice, I was full to the max at the end of the dinner ..... Thanks to my Fifth Aunt. I think I'd have the opportunity to enjoy more of such dinners soon .... Living at home really rocks!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a filling meal despite its mediocrity in taste. I was in Kuching last weekend. I had dinner at Taman Kereta. What did I order? Creamed corn soup, fried squid in Thai sauce and beef satay.I did not enjoy the meal because the soup was way too starchy and the squid and satay too chewy. The beef was full of sinew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the quality of the food there seemed to have deteriorated. I ate there too recently. Will be posting about it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...