Monday, September 8, 2014

Family Reunion Dinner @ KTS Garden

I did not even know that KTS Garden existed. Lols. Anyway, we were going to have our dinner there. My Youngest Aunt and Uncle had come back for a holiday from Australia, and traditionally, the family gathered for this occasion. I, being away for half of my life, have always missed this gathering. But this time, I could finally join them. Yay!

Our table sat twelve, and yet it did not feel crowded. The food, meant for 10 persons, could easily feed twelve too. That meant that the portion was reasonably large.

Food was ordered by my cousin J, who had been given the responsibility. And this was what she ordered ...

 Corn soup
My aunts were aghast! "I can cook this at home!" they exclaimed. "I cook this all the time," another said. "I wouldn't order this," came another comment. Lols. But then, the soup was really sweet and umami. I loved it, despite what all the aunties said. 

 Braised noodles
The noodles tasted a bit crispy so that was quite interesting texture there. The gravy had good consistency and was tasty. I also loved the accompanying ingredients especially the green crunchy mustard and the succulent prawns.

 Roasted duck with plum sauce
For me, this was the best dish of the night! The duck was so tasty, the meat so tender. One could eat it on its own, or dip them in the sweet and tangy plum sauce. Yums. 

 Steamed siakap, teochew style.
I loved the generous ingredients that covered the fish - the salted vegetables, tomatoes, chillies, ginger, the scallions and Chinese celery. Otherwise, this dish was not so notable, something easily available elsewhere.

 Midin with red wine
Some found the dish too wet ... but I loved the sweet red wine that flavoured the vegetables. 

 Steamed buns, served with ... 
Love the soft and fluffy texture of the buns. 

 Braised pork leg
Mom's favourite of the night. The meat was tender and the braising sauce was on the savoury side. Second Aunt preferred it sweet. I too, preferred it to be a little heavier in flavour as that would taste better with the buns.

 Hidden Gems in the Braised Pork Leg! Everyone proceeded to dig out the peanuts embedded in the dish. Lols. 

Dessert
Dessert was mango pomelo sago ... thick and gooey, rich and sweet ... and definitely satisfying. Dad's favourite dish of the night.

Well, overall, I must say that I have had an enjoyable night .... eating and drinking and of course, catching up with my relatives. There's a cousin whom I had not seen for nearly 2 decades! She's got grown children now! Where had I been all these years? Lols ..... 

4 comments:

  1. Hi...nice entry . So cun your entry, cause i 've been invited to attend a wedding dinner at KTS Garden tomorrow nite..and I don't know whether they serve halal food or not.Hmmm , now then i know. Lol. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dessert looks great! looking at it makes me drool....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite was the duck and the dessert too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. On second thought, everything was rather yum. I had a satisfying meal.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...