Sunday, July 26, 2009

Seng Guan Cafe : Ban Mian 板面

My friend and I went to Seng Guan Cafe at Pelita Commercial Centre, Miri this morning for breakfast. It is my first visit to this coffee shop.

I'd heard that the ban mian 板面 here is good, but I'd never tried it. Till this morning, that is.

I ordered a bowl of dry-tossed ban mian. From my table, I could see the vendor lady rolling the ban mian dough through the noodle machine, before cooking it in a boiling pot of water. In no time, my ban mian was ready.

Dry-tossed ban mian @ Seng Guan Cafe

The ban mian is slightly different from the one at Happiness Cafe. Like Happiness, the ban mian comes with julienned black fungus, cangkuk manis, minced flavoured pork, and deep-fried anchovies.

However, the noodles are softer in texture, compared to Happiness and the vendor is generous with the cangkuk manis. It is also topped with slices of boiled pork, unlike Happiness.

What do I think of the ban mian at Seng Guan? It is not bad at all. I would say that it is indeed more flavourful than the one at Happiness. I don't need to add chilli sauce to my noodles to improve the flavour. I only wish that the vendor puts more black fungus and maybe adds strips of shiitake mushrooms to the noodles.

The ban mian vendor serves this chilli sauce, but it is not really needed.

I would go back to Seng Guan Cafe to try the other food items - like the Penang Fried Kueh Tiaw, Mee Sua, and Laksa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...