Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tarts From The Tart Shop

I walked past The Tart Shop at Bintang Plaza Megamall, and saw freshly baked tarts in the display rack.

Three enterprising young men were making and selling those tarts in the outlet itself.

I decided to try those freshly-baked tarts. But I could not decide which ones to buy.

Do you know what is the difference between an ordinary egg tart and a Portuguese egg tart? I didn't know so I asked one of the young men. According to him, the Portuguese egg tart had milk in the custard, while the ordinary egg tart didn't.

Having got that sorted out, I decided to buy both an ordinary egg tart, and a Portuguese egg tart.

Egg Tart

My friend doesn't like egg tarts. But the outlet sells Cream Cheese Tarts. My friend, being fussy, doesn't like blueberries, even if it's just swirled on the surface. The young men managed to convince her to try it.

Portuguese Egg Tart

The verdict? The ordinary egg tart had crumbly crusts, but the egg custard did not stand out. Where as the Portuguese egg tart tasted more "egg-y" but the crust was harder. I did not really like the egg tarts. I guess my ideal egg tart would have to have a crumbly pastry with a richer egg custard.

My friend, on the other hand, liked the Cream Cheese Tarts, which she said was "cheese-y" ;p.

Cream Cheese Tart

The young men did mention that they were still experimenting with other flavours. Besides egg tarts, also sold in the outlet are deep-fried skewers of fish balls, and also the dragon beard candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...