Yesterday was the first day I went back to work after the short break, but the students were not there. They were at home since school was temporarily shut due to the haze. But for the teachers, we were to go to school unless the API was 500 points and above. We were to teach the students online from school. My only challenge for that was the internet access.
My school had internet access. However, the router was located far away from where I sat in the staffroom. So I could not normally use the school wifi from my desk. So to remedy that, I decided to teach from the classroom which was just above the computer room. I knew I could access the school wifi from there.
The classroom, of course, was not air-conditioned. And to minimise my exposure to the polluted air, I closed all the windows and doors, and turned on all the fans. There were unfortunately ventilation panels along the walls, so of course the polluted air could still flow in. I was only thankful that the API yesterday was in the 170-180 range - still unhealthy.
My gear - Macbook, airpods, cold water and a portable fan for a 2-hour class ....
It took a lot of time to get ready my gear and my books and to set up in the classroom. But the worst was the slow connection. I could not even get into the online classroom at first. Then the students said I was lagging. Sigh. So in the end, I used my own telco line to carry out my lesson. It was more stable and the speed was acceptable. Thankfully, I managed to fill the 2 hours with work. To engage the students, I called their names consistently. I was glad that they were co-operative.
Today, I did not bother to go the classroom anymore. It was a chore to carry my books and my gear to the classroom block. Plus, today's API was higher in the 220s range, so I did not want to be exposed. And worst of all, the school wifi was not reliable. So I had my online lesson from my desk.
The canteen had limited options too - there was food, one-portion dishes that were cooked when ordered. But the taste was not so yum .... so my colleagues brought their own food to share today. I ate some after my class just now.
Rice with chicken curry, cabbage, sardine, and sambal
There was also keropok ikan tahai one of my colleagues bought from Lawas, and biskut jerebu ... heh ... what a name ...
It was powdery and sweet and artificially-flavoured ... heh ...
Last Saturday, Mom and I went for breakfast with our immediate neighbour. Mom wanted to eat at 龟蜜Turtle Bee Cafe here ... she had eaten once before with her sisters and liked the food here. At 7.40 am, the place was already packed. The proprietors were Foochows from Sri Aman, so they served authentic Foochow dishes.
Stirfried Zao Cai Fen Gan, RM10
Zao Cai Fen Gan in soup, RM10
Tomato Kueh Tiaw, RM10








going to school but ended up using own telco line to teach online....gosh....the school should provide better wifi service for the staffs. I've never heard of Zao Cai Fen Gan before....Biskut jerebu sounds funny to me.
ReplyDelete