Fifth Aunt asked if I would help her out. I was to be her Google Map. The 'alive' version since Fifth Aunt did not know how to use the usual navigation apps like Waze or Google Map.
Fifth Aunt is 76 years old. She still drives. But at night, she is not so confident a driver. A few months back, she invited my mom, and my Second and Third Aunts for dinner. And, she got lost whilst driving back home from the venue, 海天楼 Hai Tian Lou @ Aeroville Mall. I was away in China at that time, but I had tracked my mom's iPhone, and I knew that they had driven the wrong direction. It took an hour before Fifth Aunt managed to find the way home safely.
So when Fifth Aunt asked for my help to navigate the other night, I said ok.
Fifth Aunt's second son is A. My cousin.
A's wife is D. D is Fifth Aunt's daughter-in-law. My cousin-in-law.
D's parents are sponsors of a charity event. They bought a table for the dinner charity. Typically, no one at home wants to attend events like this - because they are so time-consuming. Another reason is they have so many functions such as these to attend all year round already, and when there is a chance to give it a miss, everyone will likely want to be excused. Plus, not everyone is in town - A and D were both away in KL last weekend.
Because nobody actually wanted to go to such dinners, Fifth Aunt would normally take the opportunity to take her sisters out for a free meal - since there would be food and drinks and stage entertainment too. Otherwise, the charity tickets would also go to waste. My aunts and my mom are retired or semi-retired - so they had all the time to enjoy long dinner events. It was also a great time for them to catch up.
Fifth Aunt asked for 5 tickets from D's parents - she would bring her 3 sisters and me, her 'alive' navigator. Lol. She asked us to get ready before 6 pm and she would come pick us up in her luxurious BMW X5. Heh, I guessed we would be attending the event in style.
***
There is a local singer called Irene Tam. I only found out about her last year - also through my Fifth Aunt, who liked to listen to Irene Tam sing. Irene Tam is also a food vendor - who runs youtiao stalls in town. So she is known as the Youtiao Singing Queen in town. I know she has a stall at Yeow Kee at Premier 101 - who is manned by her husband and her staff. I always walk past but I have never bought from the stall since Mom is insistent that she does not like their version of youtiao. Yup, Mom had tried it sometime ago.
Irene Tam is also the winner of the 2010 Astro Classic Golden Melody singing competition and is a recording artiste. I had never heard her sing before, but finally, the chance came the other night. D's parents being sponsors of the charity dinner and also close friends of Irene Tam, paid for her special performances for the event. Our table was right in front - D's mom, D's fourth brother and sister-in-law, her god sister, Irene Tam and another of her performer friend, and the 5 of us. 11 of us altogether.
Well, I would say that she is a polished and experienced performer, blessed with a really good voice. A professional. She sang oldies, and I believed the elderly all enjoyed listen to her sing.
***
The charity dinner event was really long - the political speech by the Deputy Chief Minister was lengthy as well; there was prize-giving ceremonies and lucky draws ...
The food not so great, except for 2 dishes - the roasted chicken and the Meicai pork belly.


Irene Tam
By the time I got home, it was 11 pm. I wound down and slept past midnight. Since I typically wake up at about 4 am, I was really tired physically.
Some eats and happening this week ...
Ah Lian kolo mee, RM6
I always ate this at Siang Siang Tabuan Jaya, but that morning, the noodles tasted really substandard; the noodles were too soft, and the seasoning was hardly fragrant. I struggled eating this. I'd stay away from this stall for a while.
Yeow Kee's beef noodles, RM10
Still very yum and generous with toppings
Yeow Kee's dumplings, RM10
The dumplings were ok, quite bouncy
Pork leg rice, RM11
From Lee Coffee Shop - tasty but not I satisfied eating this because of the stingy portion ...
Sardine Murtabak, RM5
Ok while hot ...
Another colleague retired this week; the school canteen catered our lunch - we had coconut shoots, chicken kam heong, sweet and sour fish and fruits salad.
sdfa






No comments:
Post a Comment