Friday, October 16, 2009

Dinner @ Korean Restaurant

It's a girls' night out last night, and the girls headed to Korean Restaurant at Boulevard Centre, Miri.

This small outlet is run by a Korean lady, so I guess that makes the food here more authentic. The restaurant is not big, as there are only about 6 tables. Eating here always makes me feel like eating at home as the restaurant just exudes a cosy, homely atmosphere.

I ordered the Korean Barley tea to drink. It has a smokey flavour due to the roasted barley used to prepare the tea. Refreshing, nonetheless. The Barley tea can be served hot or cold, and is RM2.00 per glass.

My glass of Korean Barley Tea

Sujeo : Korean steel chopsticks and round spoons with long handles

Next up, our banchan or side dishes arrived. There were 4 types of banchan served last night.

There's the compulsory baechu kimchi, which is cabbage kimchi. The kimchi here is quite tasty - spicy, sourish with the taste of shrimp paste evident. The Korean lady boss here makes her own kimchi. She kindly obliged our request when we asked for kimchi refill, and she did not even charge us extra for it.

Baechu Kimchi

There's also the Myeolchi Bokkeum, which is stir-fried dried anchovies. The anchovies are slightly sweet.

Myeolchi Bokkeum

I dislike black beans, but I don't mind Kongjaban or this Korean side-dish of Sweet Black Beans. The beans are really chewy and I enjoyed their nutty flavour.

Kongjaban

Oi Muchim is the Cool Spicy Cucumber Salad. Now, I did not fancy cucumbers much.

Oi Muchim

We ordered a Dolsot Bibimbap to share. The bap or rice is served in a heated stone bowl, known as the dolsot and is topped with minced meat, shredded lettuce, carrot, cucumber, onions, and a whole egg at the centre.

Dolsot Bibimbap

Mix the rice and the vegetables with a dollop of gojuchang or red chilli paste.

A spoonful of gojuchang to go with the bibimbap

And the result is a very delicious bowl of rice and vegetables mix.

My serving of bibimbap

The Dolsot Bibimbap here is delicious, much yummier than the disappointing one I ate in Kuching last holiday. The other girls liked the bibimbap too. The bibimbap is RM20.00 per serving.

We also ordered Jeyuk bokkeum or stir-fried hot and spicy pork slices. The restaurant uses thin slices of pork belly, stirfried with slivers of onions and chillies. The sauce is thick and fragrant, the pork slices are soft and sweet. This dish is served on a sizzling platter. One serving costs RM29.00

Jeyuk bokkeum

The Jeyuk Bokkeum is served with a plate of fresh lettuce. Fresh lettuce is RM5.oo a plate here.

Lettuce

And so I piled up some kimchi and a slice of pork on top a lettuce leave to make lettuce wraps. Yummilicious!!

My lettuce wrap

My friend ordered the Kimchi Jeon or Kimchi pancake. I liked the pancake only when I bite into something, such as kimchi slices. Kimchi jeon is RM18.00.

Kimchi jeon

Well, the food here is quite expensive, but we girls do not mind to indulge ourselves once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...