Sunday, May 30, 2010

Breakfast @ Ming Xin Cafe

Perched atop a little hill is Riam Commercial Centre, where Ming Xin Cafe occupy the corner shoplot. The place looked modern, spacious and clean. This cafe does not serve pork, and from hearsay, the food was pretty good.

This morning, S**** and I drove across town to breakfast there. We ordered a variety of dim sum dumplings, both steamed and fried.

Siew mai

Century Egg Dumpling

Tofu Skin Rolls

Another variety of tofu skin rolls
These had black fungus strips in it

I liked all the dumplings. They were compact, yet succulent, and filled with the goodness of minced chicken, prawns, and other ingredients. I liked that the dumplings had texture and bite.

We also ordered a plate of carrot cake. Unfortunately, we did not like it at all. We found it strange that deep-fried carrot cake was diced and then stir-fried with chilli, beansprouts, spring onions and eggs. I'm not sure if this is always the case here, though. Usually, vendors would use steamed carrot cake to make this dish.

Stir-fried carrot cake

We decided to try the chicken porridge with century egg. Disappointingly, there was only 2 thin triangular slices of century egg and salted egg. We liked the fresh julienned young ginger in the porridge, though.

Chicken porridge with century egg

Both S**** and I did not like the crispy stuff sprinkled generously atop the porridge. Next time, we had to remember to tell them not to garnish our porridge with those. There was so much of it that this dish had better be named chicken porridge with deep-fried popiah skin!

The lotus leaf parcel sat very well with me.

Lotus leaf parcels

Yum ...

The glutinous rice was steamed till soft, and flavoured with chicken and salted egg yolk among other things. Very tasty and yum. A must-try, indeed.

There were lots of other things on the menu which we did not try today. Must go back ;D.

1 comment:

  1. This morning I when to Ming Xin Cafe again, unexpected & disappointed the Dim Sum food standard can be drop so much....

    As specially is that "Salad Prawn" & "Lotus leaf parcels", is totally not like previous taste....the worse is the "Salad Prawn" when serve to me is still not cook well.....oh my god!!!!!!!! other dim sum dumpling "OK" lor....

    Just difference by 5 months times, the dim sum foods standard can be drop so much....I swear, I won go there again...

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...