Sunday, October 23, 2011

Klang Bak Kut Teh in Miri

It is a corner shop in Permyjaya. It is not air-conditioned, but luckily it is airy at noon. The shop was packed with the lunch crowd, and so it was very noisy. My friend and I could hardly hear each other in the din.

The menu was quite extensive, in that besides Bak Kut Teh, there was rice, noodles, meat and seafood dishes as well. But my friend and I decided to stick to what we went there for - Bak Kut Teh. We ordered one with everything in it.

Bak Kut Teh in Clay Pot, served boiling hot for 2 pax

Everything included big chunks of knuckles, slices of pork belly, pork ribs, intestines, stomach, deep-fried beancurd, beancurd skin, and lettuce. My friend griped that there was no liver which she loved.

Anyway, the herbal broth was thick and flavoursome. I loved to drink it hot. We ordered some deep-fried crullers separately. The crullers weren't the best that I'd eaten, but I loved them all the same, especially when dunked into the broth.

At this shop, you can choose to have your Bak Kut Teh with white rice or Yam Rice. And the both of us opted for Yam Rice.

Yam Rice

And we both liked the Yam Rice. There were chunks of yam in the rice, and was subtly flavoured with dried prawns.

Stir-fried Midin in Red Rice Wine

The Midin did not look very appetising. My friend thought it was too oily. But in fact, it did taste alright.

Well, I am not sure whether the Bak Kut Teh is as authentic as they claim to be. But I do like it here, and I don't mind coming back for more!

2 comments:

  1. Where is its exact location in Permyjaya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makanmaniac has a map in his site :
    http://www.makanmaniacs.com/2011/09/klang-bak-kut-teh.html

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...