Thursday, May 31, 2012

Local Cakes @ Kenyalang Park

Kenyalang Park is a very old neighbourhood. The evidence? Hmn ... I see a lot of old folks around this area - at the houses, at the shops, at the market. Everywhere!! ;p

Anyway, Mom makes me accompany her to the wet market every morning. So I do. It takes but a few minutes to reach the market, and during the short walk, Mom would regale me with the latest happenings at home.

Hmn. I haven't much interest in the vegetables, fish or meats as I leave the buying to Mom. I merely help her carry what she's bought.

But what I like to do is to stop by the kuih vendors to buy local cakes to eat.

Behind Lo Chuang Kee, a sundry shop, is a kuih auntie, and from her, I bought these :
  
 Deep-fried Radish Cake, RM0.60 each, Serimuka, RM0.40 each
Well, I liked the radish cake as they were tasty - crispy and fragrant. It was just a little oily and I had to dab the grease with a tissue before eating. The Serimuka was rather sweet, springy and lemak. Dad loved them.

On the second floor of the market are stalls selling local favourites like kolo mee, laksa, porridge, kueh chap and chicken rice. The kuih vendors converge at one side of the area, their carts arranged in a neat row. 

There is a particular stall that my family favours. Mom always refers to the lady vendor as "The Tall Lady". Lol. I suppose she did stand out from the rest of the vendors, with her tall frame and her fair skin and her carefully made-up face.

Purple "Gu", RM0.80 each
This "Gu" has got yam paste in its filling. Dad loved them too. 
 
3-Layer Cake, 3 pieces for RM1.00
Well, I haven't any idea what this cake is called. It's got grated tapioca at the base, topped with a layer of coconut milk custard, and finally a pandan-flavoured coconut milk custard. It does not look like much, but it is quite yum ... sweet, springy, lemak and fragrant with the taste of tapioca.

Yong Kwang is a very established coffee shop which has garnered its own group of faithful followers. Personally, I have never liked the Bao nor the Sio Bee nor the Kolo Mee. But outside of the coffee shop, an array of colourful kuih attracted my attention. 

"Self service," the auntie said. I bought ...

Sesame and peanut balls, RM0.60 each & Serimuka, RM0.50 each.
The ground sesame and peanut mixture were sweet and encased in a chewy dough. It was alright. Mom liked it. The serimuka, however, tasted weird to me. I think the ones sold by Tall Lady fared better. 

Good Old Days or 好日子 is relatively new food court here, and Kuching's favourite Sin Kwang Heng Sio Bee is available.

Sin Kwang Heng Sio Bee, RM0.60 each
Yum ... the taste is legendary ... 

Noodle Expert is located at a newer row of shops behind the old commercial centre, and it is very popular with the locals. When walking past the shop, one will catch the very enticing aroma of kolo mee coming from Ah Ming's stall. Outside of his stall are also many trays of kuihs. And I always like to buy these dumplings.

 3 types of dumplings are available, RM0.50 each - tangy and salty chopped preserved vegetable, chives and chopped beancurd, and jicama and carrot. They are all very yum. 

Well, it's very fun shopping for kuih here. There are really many types of kuih available and everyone has their own favourites.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog to be very vibrant and interesting. Your photography is really good. Do you carry a DSLR outdoors often?

    I visit the Kenyalang market too. Have you tried the fried food stall in front of the tall lady kuih seller? (Third stall from the left). IMO, it has got to offer the fastest service for a fried food stall I have ever encountered. Your food arrives in barely 3 minutes! Mind you, this is fried food we're talking about, which usually takes time to prepare. The downside I do not like is that the chilli they give you does not taste fresh, it always tasted somewhat spoilt or fermented. On the contrary, its neighboring stall, the 2nd stall from the left, is really really slow, and it takes ages for the fried food to arrive, more so when there are orders stacking up. The stall is run by a couple and the husband always portrays this fierce-looking face, as if you owed him some money in the past. :) Two similar type of food stalls next to each other, yet the service is so contradicting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hans. You are too kind. I don't have a DSLR. Yet. Most of the photos are taken with my iPhone.

    Kenyalang is my "kampung" as Mom calls it. Lols. No, I have not tried the stalls you are referring to though I see lots of people eating around there. I'd give them a try next time around!!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...