Friday, June 1, 2012

Char Siu @ Fang Yuan

Fang Yuan occupies 2 shoplots behind Hock Lee Centre. It sells Hainan Chicken Rice, but I think it is also very popular for its Char Siu. I was there at about 10.00 a.m. this morning, and I could see people already enjoying their rice and meats.

Mom and Aunts like to buy the Char Siu from Fang Yuan. It is very tasty as the meat is juicy, tender and glazed with a thick caramel-like sweet sauce. A faint smoky aroma is evident from the cooking process. Yum ... 

Only steamed chicken & char siu available ...

I had not planned to buy the rice, but in the end, I settled for a Steamed Chicken and Char Siu Rice. It cost RM5.00, and you can see the generous amount of meats adorning the savoury rice. In addition to a whole steamed chicken wing, I got at least six thick slivers of Char Siu!

 Tempting Char Siu ...

Well, the rice is soft and fluffy. Unfortunately, I don't really like the taste of the rice. I liked the chicken though - it's a bit salty but that brings out the natural sweetness of the chicken. The texture of the meat is good - chewy, so I know that they do not use spring chicken unlike some other chicken rice shops. The char siu, of course, is yum.


From the number of patrons eating there, I know that Fang Yuan is very popular among Kuching folks!

2 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...