Saturday, June 2, 2012

Big Bao @ Fook Hai

Big Bao. Another of my Kuching favourite, what I grew up eating. A long time ago, they used to sell at the shophouse opposite the post office. Then, they relocated to their current shop at Jalan Padungan. Over the years, however, they've tweaked the original recipe many times - probably to cope with the rising cost of the ingredients among many reasons, and sometimes, the baos turn out not nice. So, I would say that these old establishments aren't very consistent at all.

You can walk right into the kitchen to buy your bao ...
 
 Fresh from the steaming tray ...

There are 2 types of big bao : pork and chicken big bao, but both come with a large ball of meat inside.


 Big bao ... each about 11 cm in diametres

What it looks like inside ... 

Pork bao ... I like the texture of the meat filling as it is very moist, yet springy. It has bite and goes well with the bao skin.

The chicken bao used to be yum ... but this time, it has a stronger peppery flavour. I remember that it used to have a large slice of boneless thigh meat in there, and that was divine to chew on. But I suppose that's a thing of a past now ...

The Big Bao here cost RM2.80 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...