Sunday, July 29, 2012

Smoke House

My colleague, J**** said that he and a few others usually hung out at Smoke House.

"Where?"

"Smoke House. Near Merdeka Mall," he said. "The barbecued pork rocks."

That was enough to interest me, and I interviewed him thoroughly. "Let's go on Friday," C***, another colleague said.

And so on Friday after work, we headed there for some booze and barbecue.

Smoke House
Dirt floor, folded tables and plastic chairs ... We arrived at 5.00 p.m. The young man had just started to light his charcoal barbecue pit and we had to wait about 40 minutes before he started cooking. So in the meantime ...

Cold beer 
I love a cold beer once in a while .... The 3 of us finished 10 bottles. Not much, I suppose, but it is already MORE than what normally consume.

The STAR of the stall
The barbecued pork was yum ... fresh and well-marinated with a good charcoal flavour. Squeeze lime over the meat and enjoy it plain. Or one may choose to dunk the thick slices of meat in a chilli, garlic soy sauce.

Barbecued pork + cold beer = HEAVEN. Agree?

I thought the presentation was kinda nice too!  
We polished off 3 plates! 

Pork Burger
This is another must-try. The pork patty was homemade, thick and very flavourful with spices and seasoning.  The size had shrunk, though, according to my colleagues. 

Take off the bun to see what's in there .... 
A slice of cucumber, pork patty coated with sauce, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. Yum.

Slowly, the crowd began to pour in. One thing with this place was that the service was rather slow. Our burgers were served like 40 minutes apart. The meats too took a long time to arrive. I suppose it was due to the amount of time it took to get the pork cooked in such a way that retained its moisture and flavour. "Slow food!" my colleague quipped.

Hmn ... not sure how much everything cost, but we paid RM113 before we left. The price was not important because I had enjoyed myself tremendously. I'd look forward to the next happy hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...