Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Paper Flower

I walked into the school office, and there was this Indian man sitting at the sofa, waiting. Who was he? I thought, but of course, I was too polite to ask. When Boss came back to the office, this man seeked his permission to carry out a paper-cutting demonstration for the students.

He and Boss agreed upon the time - it would be done during the morning roll call the next day. Boss duly informed me since I was on duty that whole week. Mr. Prem Chand, he said, would be showing off his paper-cutting craft. I was to ensure that he kept to his allocated time of 10 minutes. Okie, no problem, I said to him. "What else do you need?" I asked. He needed a table, he said.

Indeed, Mr. Prem Chand came bright and early the following. "Good morning, you are early," I said to him. Such a humble man he was, and he said that he would sit outside the office and wait. He waited till we'd finished our formal roll call, and only then, he demonstrated his craft. He amused the students by using a few words and phrases in BM. All of us enjoyed the demonstration.


After the demonstration, he sold the paper kits to students and teachers. Each kit went on sale for RM5.00. Lots of people bought. It was for charity. The money would be going to the poor students in India. 

For my effort in helping him, he gave me a paper lotus flower which he cut out during the demonstration. 

Paper Lotus Flower

Pretty, isn't it? I love flowers, even if they are made of paper! ;p 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...