Saturday, June 21, 2014

J's Braised Meat Rice

J is my cousin's husband. And he loves to cook. At a charity sale recently, J sold Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice. And he made lots of profit, which he duly donated to the charity he supported.

Given the success, Second Aunt and I invited ourselves to try J's Braised Pork Rice. Lol. And he obliged us by cooking for us one evening ....

J's Braised Pork Rice

Now, J himself is a Taiwanese, and he takes pride in this dish that represents Taiwanese cooking. According to him, the secret to making good braised pork is in the soy sauce. Normally, he will use a Taiwanese brand of soy sauce for braising.

Well, with my bowl of fragrant steamed white rice, I spooned a serving of braised pork and its gravy onto the rice, added half a boiled egg and some chopped cilantro ... yummy .... I liked it but the older folks found the braised meat to be a tad sweet .... I think J noted that, and perhaps he would balance up the flavour after this.

J aims to sell this during the Kuching Festival Fair this year .... ooo .... that will be so cool. :))

3 comments:

  1. Is J from Southern Taiwan? The braised pork prepared by Southern Taiwanese is more on the sweet side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a penchant for sweet braised pork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, J is from Taipei, and his braised pork is really quite nice, just a bit sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...