Sunday, June 29, 2014

Old Rex Cucur Udang Cafe

The Old Rex Cucur Udang Cafe is famous for its cucur udang or prawn fritters, of course. A long time ago in Kuching, there was an old cinema named Rex. Next to it was a food court which sold the local favourites ... and the prawn fritters were pretty popular back in the olden days. I had a very vague memory of eating there when I was very young .....

Now, Rex is defunct, the cinema demolished and in place now is the multi-storey Medan Selera. The Old Rex Cucur Udang Cafe, is now located at Rubber Road. The current operator is NOT the original operator at Rex, but Madam Tan, who runs the business today has 46 years of experience selling prawn fritters!

I had wanted to go there for so long ..... and that day, I finally had the chance to do so. D and I headed there for lunch .....

Special, D ordered when a boy asked for our drinks order.

Duh ... what's "special"? I asked D.

Special is special-lah! D answered.

I frowned .... and the boy said it had jagung, jelly, nata de coco, longan, milk .... Okie then. I decided to have "special" as well.

2 bowls of "special", RM2.50 each

 So this is what's inside the "special" ... 
Not too sweet, quite balanced in flavour .... nice.

Of course, this was the namesake of the shop .... 

The famous cucur udang or prawn fritters. This plate was RM11.80.

D had ordered quite a lot ..... there were prawn fritters, sweet potatoes, tofu, fishballs, and a type of cheesy fish cake. The prawn fritters were all the same size! And they were really crispy and tasty. I loved them lots. The other item I liked was the sweet potatoes .... the others were ordinary processed items which we could buy off the supermarket freezers. 

 The chilli dipping, topped with chopped roasted peanuts .... 
The sauce was also distinctive, not too spicy, but went so well with the deep-fried foods. 

D ordered for me a belacan beehoon, which I had wanted to try ....

Belacan beehoon, RM3.50

Belacan beehoon is only available in Kuching somehow ...... and it consists of rice vermicelli, topped with shredded cucumbers, blanched beansprouts, cuttlefish. And of utmost importance is the pungent belacan gravy ..... This version here at this cafe was rather diluted in terms of the gravy, not too spicy. I found it quite good ...

Anyway, good to rediscover this place ... as it makes another place to hang out. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...