Monday, June 9, 2014

Siniawan

I did not know what the attraction here was ..... till I read a bit about it online. I was supposed to visit in the evenings on Fridays to Sundays because at those times, there would be a food bazaar set up and people could have a variety of food al fresco along the lantern-lit street.

AT was told by the coffee shop proprietor at Kota Sentosa that many make their way to the Chinese temple, during the auspicious dates for the purposes of worshiping the resident deities.

 The Chinese temple




Behind the temple, beyond the lake ....

What a beautiful bungalow! 

There is only one main street here at Siniawan, flanked by vintage wooden shophouses. The red lanters hunged above added a certain Oriental feel to this little town. 

This empty street will come alive starting from Friday evenings till Sunday evenings, when people flock here for the Night bazaar.  

The birds nest industry still thrives here


Pure birds' nest is farmed nearby ... 

 Skilled workers cleaning the birds' nest manually .... now I'd done this ... and it's really painstaking work!!! 

AT and I strolled along the main street and peeked down the alley ways ..... 

 Wow! So beautiful and peaceful, isn't it? For a while, I thought I was somewhere in China ... 

One of the coffee shops opened that day .... 

And we decided to drop by to sample the food ..... 

 Misai Kuching tea ... 
This was quite soothing. AT and I loved it. 

 Meatball soup
Famous here at his coffee shop, and the meatballs were juicy and bouncy. The clear broth was rich and sweet and very generously served with lots of mustard greens and some seaweed. AT loved the meatballs, I loved the vegetables. 

Fishball soup
The homemade fishballs were fresh and sweet, and tasted strongly of fish rather than flour. AT did not quite like it though.

After lunch, we left Siniawan. We certainly have to come back again one evening for the Night Bazaar. Then, he headed to Bau. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...