Friday, April 24, 2015

Laksa @ Sweetie Pie Cafe

When you have a good breakfast, it not only fuels you up, it makes you really happy. This morning, I had an enjoyable breakfast at Sweetie Pie Cafe, Jalan Nanas.

It was one of those mornings when I woke up really hungry. There was no breakfast at home .... so I had to eat out. Initially, I had wanted to eat the ham and egg pita at Thompson Corner, just next to Sweetie Pie Cafe. I had been thinking about it since I woke up. But I was too early. The stall was still closed and would only begin operations at 7.30 a.m.

Sigh ..... so what to do? I went next door to Sweetie Pie. It was about 6.55 a.m. ... and the laksa stall was still getting ready to begin its business. There was only one lady manning the stall. I enquired in Mandarin whether there was laksa, and to my surprise she spoke to me in Malay. Hmn ... that had to be one of the few times that I was mistaken as non-Chinese. Lol ... anyway .... I've to check my complexion in the mirror .... have I turned dark? Or have my features changed without me realising it?

Anyway, I was told to wait for a short while ... which of course, I agreed to.

Kopi, RM1.30

My cutlery, sambal and lime in a saucer

What's special about the sambal was that it was loose and dry .... one could moisten it with the lime provided. I tasted the sambal and detected finely minced dried prawns .... this sambal was very close to the taste of hae bee hiam.

Laksa, RM4.00

Before long, I was served the laksa. And there were lots of things right about this laksa. Firstly, it was visually appealing - big bowl, generous amount, red gravy, and a tinge of green coriander to decorate the dish. :)) At RM4.00, I must say that the vendor is really generous with the portion!! Lots of rice vermicelli, enough soup to accompany the noodles, lots of beansprouts, egg omelette, shredded chicken breast, and 3 small prawns. Taste wise, the gravy had a very old-school flavour, its consistency was good. I won't find any fault with a good bowl of laksa of only RM4.00. 

Delicious! 

To conclude, I'm already thinking of going back to this stall .... must bring the folks! Highly recommended. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...