Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Happy Mid-Autumn 2017

These past weeks have been very busy. Many of my colleagues are MIA - some are sick, many are attending courses, some have retired and have not been replaced. It's a challenging time in school because we have to stand in for so many others ....

This week has been especially taxing for me. It's approaching the end of the school term and it's now the exam period. I've been busy managing exams for the past 3 days, to ensure that everything is running as it should. Phew! So glad that it's over now.

How do you celebrate Mid-Autumn, my colleague R who is Iban, asked me. Hmn. It was a time for family reunion. I remembered when I was younger, my grandparents' house would be abuzz with activities. A lot of cooking would be done .... and thereafter my grandpa would set up a table in front of the altar to offer all those delicious food to the ancestors. After that, all of us - my parents, my aunties and uncles, my brother and my cousins - would go to my grandparents' house for dinner. And after dinner, us children would play with our paper lanterns in the garden ....

Now, however ... hmn ..... we do not celebrate at all. No fancy dinners. No family reunions. No lanterns. Heh. It's just like any other ordinary day here at home.

This Mid-Autumn, however, my colleagues have been crazy about these Fermented Bean Curd Biscuits ...

6 Biscuits for RM14.00 

Our colleague, W introduced it to us a few days ago. He said he'd been eating this mooncake every year for the past 20 years. Huh? How come I've never known about this mooncake? Seriously I'd not eaten this before ..... especially here in Kuching.

Anyway, W was gracious enough to let us try some, and all of us liked the sweet, savoury, rich flavour of the biscuit. The biscuits were really nice to nibble at, especially with a cuppa. And so, everyone wanted to buy themselves a packet, and I was sent to do the shopping. I did not mind since it is just a stone's throw away from the park where I go walking every evening.

Heh. Anyway, the shop was called Wing Hiong, and it is located at Jalan Padungan. I don't believe I've bought anything here before. Well, if W didn't mention it, I think this shop would still escape my notice. So at the eve of the Mid-Autumn festival, there were still lots of mooncakes on sale. The lady told me that they made all of the mooncakes they sold at the shop. I did not browse though. I bought 5 packets of the Fermented Bean Curd Biscuits and left in a jiffy.

Back in school today, my friends were all delighted to have their own packet of mooncake to bring home. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...