Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cup Noodle, Anyone?

Wednesday is Gerko day, where students attend co-curricular activities in the afternoon. After a long morning in the classroom, they break for lunch at approximately 1.30 p.m.

I'm on duty this week. So it is customary for me to make my rounds during break times. And while keeping an eye on the students on Wednesday's lunch break, I also observed that so many students were eating instant cup noodles. They could buy the cup noodles from the school co-operative. Yesterday alone, the co-operative sold at least 4 boxes of cup noodles, each box containing 24 pieces!! Today, after recess, I counted 30 cups, stacked neatly at the sink. Yes, we started to collect the cups today for a recycling project.

It piqued my curiosity. I wondered if the noodles were yum? I mean, they had to be good since so many of the kids preferred them over cooked food prepared by the canteen.

And so after work, I decided to buy myself a cup. At the supermarket near my residence, this particular brand cup of noodles, Mamee Sllrrrp! cost RM1.50. I chose the Flamin' Curry flavour, a favourite amongst the students.

Colourful packaging

Just as instucted on the lid, I tore open the sachet of flavouring and poured it over the noodles. Next, I added I boiling hot water to the noodles till the marked position in the cup. Wait 3 minutes, and the noodles are ready to be consumed.

Tear open the lid to find a packet of flavouring & a fork ...

Well, the noodles were better than I expected them to be. They were springy, and did not have that flour-y taste that some instant noodles have. The soup base was tasty, the curry flavour sort of grew on me after a while. It was not too salty nor too spicy.

Ready to eat ...

Before I knew it, I'd finished my cup of noodles. Initially, I had not really meant to eat it, what more to say to finish it. Lolx. No wonder my students did not mind having instant noodles for recess and lunch!

A few weeks back, I read that instant noodles was becoming "Earth Food", meaning it's becoming a staple, a part of people's daily diet in all corners of the world. Well, I can certainly testify to the fact that it's part of my students' daily diet at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...