Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lunch @ The Vintage Tea House

The Vintage Tea House is located at Jalan Piasau. It is a family-run business. This tea house features oriental decor. It isn't a very big shop, with marble tables placed closely together. At one corner, the Uncle makes tea in full display of diners. This tea house not only serves food, it also sells tea leaves, tea pots, and other tea-making paraphernalia.

Well, let's start with the drinks. We ordered a 5-year-old Pu'Er Tea.

5-year-old Pu' Er Tea served in a quaint tea pot and tea cups, RM8.00 per pot

The Uncle said that it's best to drink Pu' Er tea hot as it has got detoxifying properties. "I've got nothing left to detox," he said. "I drink this every day!" He laughed. Well, there's not much I know about this tea except that it's a variety of dark tea. But I do think that this Pu' Er is rather pleasant to drink.

The Uncle went around from table to table to interact with diners, and to help them pour tea and to refill the tea pots. He was really quite amicable, and I could tell that he wanted diners to enjoy the tea as much as he did.

We also ordered Longan Tea, which was served warm.

Longan Tea, RM2.50

I liked the Longan Tea which was just slightly sweet, coupled with a refreshing and fruity taste. As indicated by the name of the shop, tea features very prominently in the dishes here.

Chicken Rice

Steamed Chicken, RM24.00 for 3 pax

The steamed chicken was tender, smooth and flavourful. The portion was really huge. We girls could not finish them. What I liked was the rice which was savoury. I could hardly taste the tea as it was very subtle.

Buttered Tea Deep Fried Pork, RM12.00

The deep-fried pork slices were superbly and unbelievably tender. The consistency of the sauce was just perfect. It tasted rich and buttery, sans the thick creamy texture. Sprinkled over the pork were crunchy tea leaves. This is highly recommended!

Pu' Er Bak Kut Teh, RM12.00

The Bak Kut Teh had meatballs, ribs and pork belly chunks. Compared to what I had the other day, he herbal broth was clear, light and delicate. I could not care less for the meat, but the soup was good.

Mustard Leaves, RM8.00

Don't be deceived by this seemingly ordinary dish. The vegetables were fresh and crunchy, lightly salted. It was very good and complemented all the other dishes wonderfully.

All in all, we paid RM69.00 in total. It's my first time eating here, I love it and I do look forward going back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...