Saturday, March 31, 2012

Steamed Yam Cake

My Second Aunt makes the best steamed yam cake in the family. She makes it quite often, whenever she can get her hands on yam at the market.

Yummy yam cake

Second Aunt's Yam Cake has got the right texture - neither too hard nor too soft. It's firm and springy, yet it isn't hard to the bite. Aunt normally cuts the yam into little cubes. So as I bite into the cake, there will bits of powdery yam embedded.

What's great about the Yam Cake is the topping. Second Aunt is really generous with the topping, which had lots of shallots, minced dried prawns, and preserved radish. For extra flavour and colouring, Second Aunt added chopped chillies and spring onions too.

I grew up eating my Second Aunt's Yam Cake, so for me, it's the best! I had a huge chunk for lunch today. Forget about plain white rice. Second Aunt's Yam Cake beats white rice anytime! ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...