Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Entry @ 26.08.2026

On Thursday evening, I drove to Ah Tou Seafood for dinner but it was closed since the chef was not feeling well. Too bad since I had so much wanted to eat there. So not knowing where to go next, I ended up at BBQ King which was just down the road. We were rather early and the crowd had not appeared yet. That was good since it meant that we did not have to wait too long. 

Mom and I normally ordered more than we could finish. So it was customary for me to bring containers with me when I dine out, so that I could bring home the leftovers. 

Kokokam, cold vs hot 

Pork skewers, RM2.50 per stick
I ordered this because Mom liked it; the meat was well-grilled and not too hard. As for me, I did not find the marinade for the skewers to be that great. 

Coconut prawn, RM42
There were 6 pieces of prawns in the small serving, the gravy was thick and a tad sweet - it's nice to dip the deep-fried bun in the gravy or to eat with rice. 

Midin belacan, RM20 
The portion was reasonably big; tasted alright 

Oyster pancake, RM35
This was a huge piece of pancake, very crispy so it was like eating savoury crackers; the oyster themselves were coated with batter and deep-fried separately - this is a different take to the dish ....

The next day, on Friday, I did not go to work. School closed due to the highly-polluted air. The API was in the 190s. Since there was an option for us to work from home, I preferred that since I had high speed Internet at home which afforded me a steadier online meeting with my students. From early morning, I tried out some of the features of the Google Classroom. It had been years since I last taught an online class - the last being the Covid-19 days back in 2021. 

So I felt a little nervous about the whole thing. After I decided on the skill to teach, I roughly planned the activities and tested out the platform. Then I went upstairs to my room - I needed a confined space away from distractions so that I could focus on the students only. At 10.35 am, I started the meeting online, and the students came in one by one. And once everyone was in, I started the lesson. Students being students, were all reluctant to turn on their cameras ... so to ensure that everyone was still hidden behind their screens, I resorted to calling their names as often as I could. I must commend them since all of them actually participated and also turned in the work I assigned to them. At 11.45 am, I ended the class punctually. I was glad that my class was co-operative and turned in the work assigned to them. 

After class, I made myself a cup of Omachi instant noodles I bought from Danang .... I wanted to finish up my supply of instant noodles before they expired; I hadn't bought instant noodles for a long time already .... but somehow, there were still some left in my pantry .... 

During the weekend, Fourth Aunt and I went to Matta Fair, at BCCK. I had not been for a long time .... 


We spent sometime there. Fourth Aunt was interested in a Cruise to Guangzhou or a package to Phu Quoc. But finally, we settled for a tour to Chaoshan, China with Good Times Travel. Fourth Aunt has started worrying about the trip .... lol .... she was an avid traveller until she fell down in 2016 and broke her knee. Ever since then, she had not traveled and claimed that she was already out of touch with traveling. She had already wanted to pack her bags .... lol ... the trip would be in December. Heh. 

After Matta Fair, we headed to Ice Moment at TT3 for a dessert. Fourth Aunt and I shared a black sesame dessert .... 

Black Sesame Shaved Ice, RM16.90

And then I rushed to join my friends for dinner at Stutong - a Chinese food stall which was quite popular! Portions were huge here and the prices were reasonable .... 

Bittergourd with egg
The bittergourd was a bit raw and hard, but we finished the dish anyway .... 

Garlic scapes with pork belly 

Fried chicken with dried chilli

Dongbei Chicken Stew 
I had the pork version before at this shop, and I think I prefer the chicken version which I find tastier

Yesterday, I processed a lot of durians .... from my Fifth Aunt's orchard at Pasir Pandak. Apparently, there was no market since there was a lot of supply in town. And so instead of selling the durians, Fifth Aunt just gave them away. I did not go to the orchard but my Mom did. Mom brought back 11 pieces of small durians. Some were good, some were a bit too ripe, but all had to be opened and frozen. We normally kept them in the freezer and ate bit by bit over a period of time. Much as I would like to eat more, I could not because the fruits were very heaty.  

So I try my best to pry open the thorny fruits - luckily many of them were already a bit gapped so it made it easier for me. It did not stop my fingers from getting a bit scrapped though. Mom and I managed to store the fruits in about 5 Tupperwares and froze them in the freezer. Luckily, we have 3 refrigerators at home. 

This morning, I woke up with my throat slightly sore - from the durians! Sigh .... At school, my Malay colleagues surprised us by bringing us Nasi Kak Vogue. It was rice served with fried chicken and curry gravy. There was white rice, mackerel curry with okra, chicken curry gravy with veggies, fried chicken chunks, raw cucumber, sambal belacan and also tempoyak ikan bilis. The tempoyak was nice - with a light hint of durian flavour. 

Nasi Kak Vogue cooked by my colleague

My colleague L said that originally the name was Khao Mok - which was a Thai dish. In Kelantan which was near Thailand, the name was pronounced as Kak Vogue and hence the name. Anyway, I like this homecooked version better than the one sold at a famous shop here in town. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry @ 04.09.2026

This holiday, I stayed indoors most of the time since the haze situation was rather serious. There was one day when the index climbed up to ...