Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brunch @ Season Motor Canteen

Ah Nga stall has been in business for more than 45 years. Now it is located at the Season Motor Canteen, Piasau here in Miri.

What's really good here is the Fried Kueh Tiaw and the Anchovies Fried Beehoon. You see people tucking into these two variety of noodles on almost every table.

I had been craving for the Anchovies Fried Beehoon for a while now. In this dish, rice vermicelli is fried with cangkuk manis and eggs, and topped with crunchy fried anchovies. Only a few ingredients are used, but don't underestimate the simplicity of this dish. It's super yum and surprisingly very filling!!

Anchovies Fried Vermicelli

It takes skill to produce a good plate of Anchovies Fried Beehoon. At Ah Nga's, the noodles are very fragrant, neither too greasy nor too dry. The noodles are pale in colour and just lightly salted, to complement the salty and crunchy anchovies.

Anchovies Fried Beehoon is served with some belacan paste, which added a pungent and spicy kick to the noodles. If you happen to be nearby Piasau, do head over to this unassuming canteen and try out the noodles. It will definitely leave you feeling satisfied. Anchovies Fried Beehoon was RM3.50 per plate.

I am still looking for good kolo mee in town. So I decided to order kolo mee from Ah Boy's stall. After I place my order and sat down, a saucer of chilli sauce was sent to my table. My friend and I looked at it and knew not to expect too much. For me, good bowls of kolo mee don't come with chilli sauce. It had to come with seasoned cut chillies.

Presentation wise, this bowl of noodles passed the test with flying colours.

Kolo mee

But after the first mouthful, my friend and I agreed that the noodles were too dry and too peppery. We did not like it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...