Thursday, April 1, 2010

Food in Hong Kong

So much has been said about the good food in Hong Kong, and I had intended to sample at least some of the must-try delicacies, such as 糖水 desserts, dim sum and others.

Unfortunately for us, we did not have much time to eat in Hong Kong. We were too busy visiting the places of interest in our list. And so, much of the food that we ate were those that we came across, in the midst of our sightseeing adventure.

At the Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal, we had our lunch at Florinda Cafe, an outlet operated by Macau Restaurant. In a hurry, we just ordered set lunches. Each set lunch came with a hot drink and a Portuguese egg Tart. Each set cost HKD43.

Pork chop rice

Soy chicken rice

Barbecued pork rice

Coffee

Portuguese egg tart

I liked the barbecued pork and the soy chicken, which were both very yum. The coffee was good too - smooth and thick. The egg tart of course, was not as nice as Choi Heong Yuen's.

At The Peak, us girls decided to go for Burger King. My Whoppper Junior meal came to HKD37.00. A Whopper meal was HKD47.00. Expensive, eh?

My Whopper Junior set

At a roadside stall before Ladies' Street in Mongkok, we bought some snacks from the roadside stalls.

Grilled octopus

Deep-fried Yong Tau Foo

I found the Yong Tau Foo too greasy. Besides that, there were no sweet sauce provided. Only chilli sauce was available.

We found a small little outlet to have our breakfast, just round the corner from our hotel.

The kitchen from where the food is prepared

We ordered Chee Cheong Fun 豬腸粉. There were just plain rice rolls served in a savoury sauce. It was actually quite tasty when eaten with ground chilli. But none of my friends liked it.

Chee Cheong Fun

Siew Mai was another item we tried here. None of us liked the siew mai either. They were not like the siew mai we have here, where the siew mai wrappers arefilled with minced pork, shrimps or seafood. The siew mai that we had the texture of a fishball. Yuck!

Siew Mai

The char siew bao was ordered to share. The steamed bun shaped like a flower. Cute!

Steamed char siew buns

The char siew filling

The filling was rather dry, and so it was another no-no.

I ordered the beef noodles.

My bowl of beef noodles

Flat egg noodles were used, and they were blanched till soft. The broth was plain cabbage soup, and pieces of stewed beef were ladled onto the noodle soup. My friend ordered the same beef noodles, but with the addition of white radish.

Beef noodles with white radish

At another outlet just down the road from our hotel, we had breakfast on the second day. The shop is called Super Restaurant Kitchen. As usual, we could not read the menu in Chinese. But here, the waitress auntie was kind enough to produce an English version. So kind of her. I ordered Set A for HKD22.00. Set A had a buttered toast, ham omelette, vermicelli soup with preserved vegetables and pork slices, and a cup of hot drink.

Toast & ham omelette

Vermicelli soup with preserved vegetables and pork slices

I liked the omelette and the toast, but I'm not so used to the vermicelli soup. It was alright, I suppose.

My friend ordered Set C, also for HKD22.00. It had toast, a sunny side up, a macaroni soup with ham, and a hot drink.

Maraconi soup with ham

But I liked my hot drink a lot. I ordered a yuen yong 鴛鴦, which is a mixture of coffee and tea. It was hot and smooth and rich and creamy. Yum.

My cup of yuen yong

My last meal in Hong Kong was again at the ferry terminal, before we boarded our ferry back to Macau. We ate at the Maxim (美心MX) outlet. It was real packed with diners at about 2.30 p.m. in the afternoon.

I ordered the 六宝饭, translated to be Six Treasures Rice. It was HKD29.90. The rice came topped with 6 items. There was half a salted egg, char siew, roast duck, roast chicken, sausage slices, cuttlefish slices, and a strip of choy sum. Lol. Though it said six treasures, I counted seven items, including the vegetable.

Six treasures rice

Turn the plate around ..

I had to be really hungry, I supposed, as I walked the whole morning! I found my rice and all its roasted items to be yum! I did not like the sausage nor the cuttlefish, though.

After lunch, it was bye-bye to Hong Kong, as we made our way back to Macau.I guess our I will have to wait for another time to sample some other gastronomic delights in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...