Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Dumpling Festival 2010


A few of us at home went to the Moral Uplifting Society to give offerings to our ancestors, in conjunction with the Dumpling Festival.

I do not know much about the practices and the rituals, nor the items to be offered. So I asked and according to the elders in my family, there had to be rice, wine and tea, 3 types of meats, 2 vegetable dishes, firm beancurd, huat kueh (发糕) and fruits. It is a complete and elaborate feast for the deceased ancestors.

The huat kueh symbolises prosperity for the family, whereas the beancurd is "passport" to the underworld. Believe it or not?? Because this is the dumpling festival, dumplings are offered too. Mom made the dumplings herself.

Mom's dumplings

Yum ...

Mom made 160 pieces of dumplings this year. Amazing, eh? I've already blogged about Mom's dumplings. Read here. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...