Monday, July 13, 2015

Nasi Kerabu @ Food Bazaar

I was just wandering around at The Spring, my weekly shopping routine. Feeling happy after buying an outfit, I went to the Food Bazaar .... and noticed that there was Nasi Kerabu at the "Melayu" stall. So of course, I decided to try that.

Nasi Kerabu, RM10.00 

I looked at the serving and I was disappointed. Let's start dissecting the dish ....
1) Papadam - Hmn .... why not keropok ikan?
2) Rice - looked artificially blue, but tasted alright
3) Sambal tumis (at the top) - tasted like fish sambal - lacking in that sharp, tangy and zesty flavour; this one tasted of fish .... it tasted like mackerel or sardine sambal
4) Coconut flakes - there were no fish flakes in these ....
5) Gulai ikan - there was a chunk of tenggiri here, with lots of gravy; the fish was tender and infused with a heavy flavour of curry, and occasionally punctured by the fragrance of torch ginger. Too bad that the fish was served cold, though. The gulai was not bad, actually. Except that I preferred my nasi kerabu with deep-fried fish.
6) Half a salted egg - loving the rich taste of the yolk
7) Solok lada (in front of the salted egg) - traditionally stuffed with coconut and fish paste, but this one is stuffed merely with grated coconut
8) Ulam - mainly of cabbage, torch ginger, and a sprinkling of herbs.

Overall, the meal did not leave me feeling satisfied. And since it sold for a whopping price of RM10.00, I'm not sure I would eat this every again.

I'd return to try their Nasi Dagang - only that I am very certain that it will be served with the same cold, gulai ikan and that thought really put me off as I am accustomed to very good homemade Nasi Dagang. Not that I want to be negative, but I already foresee that it will fail to meet my standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...