Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Haze Once More

The whole city is again shrouded in haze. It is brought upon by people themselves. Mass open burning can be seen along Kuala Baram and along the lands beside the Miri bypass. Why are people so irresponsible? Don't they realise that open burning is hazardous to the environment?

This morning, the haze was so thick that I could barely see past 50 metres. The condition was especially bad at some areas that I could not see anything on both sides of the road. Buildings were hidden in the thick haze, and it felt much like driving in twilight zone.

On my way to work, I saw 2 accidents occurring, one a few cars ahead of me and the other at the other side of the road. I am not surprised at all, and I emphatise with the poor drivers. They could not see clearly after all. For a while, I too was worried that I would hit a car, and vice versa. Then, people started driving with their emergency lights on, for extra precaution. I thought that was a good idea.

As I turned into my school gate (I could only guess where my school gate was!!), I could not even see the building. We had to cancel today's roll call as ours is held in the open. The students were kept in the classrooms to do reading before the lesson proper begins.

The courtyard in smoke

Sigh. Haze is occurring more often than it should. And I strongly believe that the authorities should take an active role to stop open burning in Miri.

The condition is really sad, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...