Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dinner @ Fatty Crab Restaurant

Bro had a craving for crabs. So, we ended up at Fatty Crab Restaurant for dinner last Saturday night. We went to the restaurant at Mines, as it was nearer to us. My cousin, H**, said that the outlet at Taman Megah, PJ near his residence is always packed with people.

Fatty Crab Restaurant

Well, I can say the same for this outlet here in Mines. Customers who were a little late had to wait for their tables. Business was surely good.

I loved the view of the lake. There were plenty of fishes in there too. Some diners brought their own bread to feed the fish. If I had known, I would bring a loaf or two for the feeding.

View of the lake from our table

Each table has a pair of scary looking tools. A meat tenderiser to hammer those hard crab claws, and a nut cracker to break those shells.

A nut cracker (L) and a meat tenderiser (R)

We ordered a serving of Fried Rice. It was RM12.00 per medium serving. The rice had diced long beans in it - not my favourite vegetable in fried rice. Otherwise, it was light and not too oily. Not bad, actually.

Fried rice

Our chosen vegetable for the night was Sambal Kangkung. The sambal was neither too spicy nor salty. It complemented the vegetables well. This dish was also RM12.00 for a medium serving.

Sambal kangkung

Next was the Steamed Siakap. Quite a huge fish for the four of us. It was fresh and sweet. The sauce was light and savoury. I wished they would put more celery though. I loved to eat steamed fish with lots of celery. ;p Fish was RM38.00.
Steamed Siakap

Halfway through the meal, our crabs arrived. It's funny that the restaurant uses "kati" instead of "kilogramme". We ordered 2 kati of Sweet and Sour Crabs, which was equivalent to about 1.3 kg. There were about 4 crabs served, each crab halved.

The infamous sweet & sour crab

I liked the crab, but I found the sauce a tad too strong. It was real sour. I was sure that a particularly strong type of vinegar was used. It gave me the coughs. The crabs were RM60.00.

You can also have your crabs steamed. But most diners will order the sweet and sour variety. I observed that there was a plate of sweet and sour crab on almost every table!

We ordered 8 pieces of bread to soak up the crab gravy. They came sliced up and lightly toasted. The bread was RM5.00.

Toasted plain bread

The whole meal set us back by RM135.00, including drinks, peanuts and towels. Perhaps I shall return to this restaurant in the future, to try the steamed crabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...