Saturday, March 13, 2010

Brunch @ Din Tai Fung

Our destination was Midvalley City. There were a few things I needed to buy. But before I did some serious shopping, I had to fill my stomach first.

We were spoilt for choice as there were so many food outlets at Midvalley City. So, I decided to eat at Din Tai Fung, having never eaten there before this. Of course, I'd heard of this Taiwan franchise many times, known for its xiao long bao (小籠包).

We did not want to overeat as well, and so we did not order a lot. The day was long, and there were still plenty of other things I wanted to eat for the day. ;)

There listed on the menu the mark of a good xiao long bao :


And so, I ordered 6 pieces for RM9.80.

Half a dozen xiao long bao in a steamer basket

Yum ...

I did not count how many folds there were on the dumpling. 18? Hmn. I'm not too sure. I picked up a fragile little piece of xiao long bao carefully with my chopsticks, afraid that it would break. However, it did not. It wasn't that the skin was thick. But it was made pliable enough to endure gentle handling, and to hold the filling and the juices intact.

Take one bite and the juices flow out. I could only make out minced pork in the filling. The dumpling is eaten with shredded ginger in malt vinegar.

Shredded ginger in malt vinegar

We also ordered a serving of Cha Jiang La Mian (炸酱拉面). It came topped with mince pork, diced tofu, soybeans, and diced spring onions.

Cha Jiang La Mian

The noodles are Q, and the topping has a prominent taste of soy bean paste. This item is a chef's recommendation, and it was not bad actually. A serving is RM12.00.

A spoonful of noodles and meat ... yum ...

We also ordered Egg Fried Rice for RM9.00 a plate. The rice was light and not overly oily.

Egg Fried Rice

Well, the food was alright. But I was impressed with the service. The waiters were courteous and helpful. I forgot to take my camera as I left the restaurant, and the waitress was so very kind to return it to me. Thanks and I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...