Monday, August 31, 2009

Chong Chon Biscuit Maker : Legendary Pastries

My friend asked me to buy her the infamous Sau Pau from Kai Joo Lane here in Kuching.

I reached there at 10.30 a.m., but the Sau Paus were not ready yet. The counter was totally empty, except for some Wu Kok or deep-fried yam puffs. I placed my order and had to wait for a while.

Yam Puffs

There was a middle-aged couple from Sibu who were ahead of me, and they bought RM154.00 worth of Sau Paus to bring home. Wow, I thought.

While waiting, people kept coming and ordering. But all had to wait.

Chong Chon Biscuit Maker has been at Kai Joo Lane - dubbed Coffin Lane by the locals - for years, and has been selling pastries for at least 40 years.

There are 5 types of pastries sold here

In front of the shop, you can see the vendor lady and her assistant making the various puffs. They're quite fast, and very soon, she has got a tray full, ready for the oven.

Vendor lady and her assistant deftly making the pastries

After about 15 minutes, my orders were ready. The pastries were piping hot as they went straight from the oven into the paper box. They were still hot when I reached home.

The legendary Sau Pau from Chong Chon Biscuit Maker

The filling used by the vendor is unlike the ones of Seremban Sau Pau. This Sau Pau filling has got bite-size pieces of char siew, mushrooms, and green peas. The filling is compact, moist, and really full of flavour. Very 香 indeed.

Yummilicious Sau Pau

Dad preferred the Wu Kok, so we bought some too. The Wu Kok is deep-fried, so the pastry is crispy.

Wu Kok or Yam Puff

The filling for the Wu Kok is the same as the Sau Pau, except that there is a pinch of mashed taro inside.

Yummilicious Wu Kok

Well, if you want to buy these delicious pastries, be prepared to queue up and wait for your turn. But I do tell you that it's all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...