Friday, August 21, 2009

Hatch Day Dinner @ Sushi King

I had my hatch day dinner at Sushi King Bintang Plaza Megamall last night. This outlet is newly-opened, and received mixed reviews from the public. Some praised the food. Some criticised the service.

Hence, I went for my dinner last night without much expectations. In fact, I was quite wary, both of the food and the service.


Upon reaching there at about 7.10 p.m., my friends and I did not have to wait for a table. The waitress indicated an empty table at the back of the restaurant outlet. Whilst making our way there, a waiter stopped us. He wanted us to occupy another table at the other side of the room as the table that we were heading for was meant for 6 persons. My friend ignored him and parked herself into the booth. ;p

We had these off the conveyer belt.

Chuka Kurage
Seasoned Jellyfish

Chuka Lidako
Seasoned Baby Octopus

Sappari Ika
Seasoned Sliced Cuttlefish

And then we tried an assortment of Nigiri.

Sake
Raw Salmon

Sanma Kabayaki
Grilled Pacific Saury

We tried some Gunkan too.

Ebikko
Fish Roe

Hanasaki
Crab Stick

Liking the look of the balls, my friend took this off the conveyer belt. They turned out to be eggs, deep-fried and then topped with crabstick and mayonnaise.

Golden Ball

We tried some items in the a la carte menu too. I liked the Garlic Rice as it is quite tasty. It was tricky to eat with chopsticks though.

Garlic Rice

Chawan Mushi

Tenpura Moriawase
Vegetable Tempura

Salmon Sashimi

Edamame
Green Soybeans

I think that the tempura coating was not as light as I would like it to be. The chawan mushi and edamame was just ok, I guess. But most of all, I am most disappointed with the salmon sashimi. It's so thinly sliced that I could be eating paper. Sigh.

The Unagi promotion is currently ongoing in August. I grabbed this item off the conveyer belt, and I think that it has to be the sushi that gave me the most satisfaction last night.

Unagi Ikada Sushi
Sushi roll with omelette, topped fish roe and unagi

After a while, there were too many orders, and the chefs could not roll their sushis fast enough to fill the conveyer belts. We sat for a long time, not having anything to take off the belts.

What was also annoying was that we had to constantly ask for pickled ginger. The waiters were nice enough to oblige, however.

My friend wanted to order dessert, but none was available except the Peach Jelly or something. When we asked why it was so, the waiter said that the desserts were all imported from Japan, and they would melt by the time they reach Miri. Was he kidding us or something? Haven't they heard of freezers? Duh.

Anyway, I had a great time catching up with my friends. Thanks to W**** and A**** for the dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...