Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pastries Worth Waiting For

This shop does not wait for people to buy its pastries. On the contrary, people have to wait to buy its pastries.

The shop I'm referring to is Chong Chon @ Kai Joo Lane. I was there before 10.00 a.m. in the morning, and the shop was completely empty. They had just started making the pastries .... and they started with egg tarts. After the egg tarts, they were going to make curry puffs. 

I was told to come back at 11.30 a.m. for the first tray of pastries, fresh from the oven. 

At 11.00 a.m., I was there again. There were 2 other persons waiting already.  A little while later, the egg tarts were ready, and people snapped those up. The egg tarts were RM1.70 per piece. 

Ten minutes later, the curry puffs were removed from the oven ... and quickly vanished as well. I manage to buy some. They were RM1.80 per piece. 

How about the shao bao? They were ultra famous for their baked buns .... but that would take a long time to wait for. So I decided to settle for the egg tarts and the curry puffs. 

Why were they so slow? Well, the pastries were made by an elderly auntie and uncle. The auntie sat at a stainless steel table at the front of the shop, the hands deftly wrapping curry puffs. The uncle sat at the back of the shop, and he was dozing .... lols ..... he must have been tired. There was a helper .... but she had to do many other chores, like rolling and cutting the dough, and transferring a wrapped pastry onto the baking tray, and going to and fro to the ovens ...... 

But if you ask me, I would say that the pastries were worth waiting for. Cause they were really superb! 

 Egg Tart

Egg Tart
The pastry was savoury and flaky, while the custard was soft and wobbly ... sweet and rich in flavour. It's very delicious, and as satisfying as those I had eaten in Macau! 


Curry Puff

Curry Puff
Again, light and flaky pastry shell, filled very substantially with spicy curry filling. Compact, savoury, a little sweet and absolutely delicious! 

To eat these delicious pastries, I would wait any time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...