Sunday, September 20, 2015

In Search Of Snacks

I was looking for snacks, and Aloha Delicatessen was closed .... and JSum Bakery did not have anything appealing .... so it's off to Siang Siang Food Court at Tabuan Jaya. I liked that they still had lots of kueh even though it's late in the morning and nearly lunch time.

I always walked to the food court from the back, and I see 3 stalls selling kueh at the front of the food court. Today, I bought from the uncle whose stall is on my right (nearer to the laksa stall). I must commend him on his friendly demeanour.

"Help yourself," he said to a customer who was going to use a pair of tongs to bag a piece of shao bao, "don't take the broken one....". That sure made him different from the ladies at No. 6 kopitiam and also at Yeow Kee 101. Those 2 safeguard their kuehs like precious gems. The last time I bought from Yeow Kee 101, the lady stopped me from bagging my own chai kueh .... "I take for you in case you break the others ...." Was she accusing me of doing something I haven't done? I was definitely put off.

But then this uncle was not like that. I took a bag and began to pick up a piece of egg cake .... and he informed me, "5 for RM2.00." But I only want 2 pieces, I replied. He said I could take as few as I wanted. So nice of him. I got 2 pieces, and he charged me fairly at RM0.40 per piece. I also bought a shao bao at RM2.00


The shao bao was yummy .... I did not ask where he sourced them from; but it tasted like Kuching Shao Bao, the one at Palm Road. Nice, and I liked it. The egg cake was sweeter, denser, drier and not as soft and bouncy as motorbike auntie's, though.

From the stall on the left, nearer to the economy rice stall ... 

Konnyakku jelly with lychee
These were RM5.00! So expensive! More expensive than chicken rice! These were just ordinary. I can make these on my own ... just wait till I'm free. :P

I then bought a popiah from one of the food stalls .... 

RM2.50 
I did not like this. The taste wasn't to my liking .... and you can see that it's not compactly filled. 

All these cost about RM10.00. Expensive huh? Like my colleague V always says, the value of ringgit is running like toilet rolls these days ...... :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...