Thursday, February 23, 2012

Something Round

My student was outside the office yesterday, so I asked her what else her family sold at the coffee shop, and she was trying very earnestly to describe to me a specialty. Something round, like a biscuit. Her Aunt makes it and a lot of people like it.

But for the life of me, I did not know what she was trying to describe. Is it a kuih? I asked her. She said no, it's like a biscuit. Finally, I told her to help me buy 2 pieces when she could.

This morning, she came with a bag of guess what?

Kompia

Lol. "What are these called?" I asked her.

"Kompia," she replied.

"Why didn't you just say "kompia" yesterday?"

She smiled shyly but did not answer me.

Toasted, slit and filled with meat

The filling was flavoured with soy sauce and five spice powder.
It was quite fragrant and tasty.

These kompia sold for RM0.70 at the coffee shop, Public Seafood Centre @ Morsjaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...