Monday, February 13, 2012

Surprise Sandwich

I was walking down the stairs after class one day, and this student came along and asked if I wanted to buy a sandwich from her.

Strange, I thought. Why would she want to sell me a sandwich? Did she not want to eat it herself? I asked. She told me that she had brought some food for recess.

Her cousin had made the sandwich, she told me, and it sold very well at their coffee shop.

"Where is the coffee shop?" I asked.

"Public Seafood Centre," she replied.

"Where is that?"

"Morsjaya."

She said that there was also ham sandwich available if I was interested next time.


Since she had approached me, I obliged and bought the sandwich from her at RM2.50.

I did not know this Form 2 girl's name but I knew she had always come to clarify things with me, especially when she did not quite understand what was being informed to the students during the assemblies.

At the end of last year, I met her mother, and she knew me as the teacher who asked her daughter to buy kolo mee. I laughed, remembering that at one time, Vice Boss and I had asked this girl to help us buy kolo mee. Then, we had just found out that her mother worked at a coffee shop and we wondered if she could do us a favour. I quickly thanked her mother for helping us.

So, I suppose it was the same with the sandwich. This girl was doing me a favour by helping me buy the sandwich. Only that this time, I had not asked for it and she did not inform me earlier. Anyway, I was always happy to get extra food, especially when I was hungry at work and a visit to the canteen did not yield much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...