Friday, February 24, 2012

Braised Tofu & Mock Chicken - My Version

I absolutely do not have time (nor the inclination ;p) to go to the wet market during working days because I am usually at work by 6.10 a.m., though the official clock in time is 6.40 a.m. There are among us, however, who make their way to the market as early as 5.30 a.m. to source for the freshest ingredients. And my colleague, T** is one of them.

Today, she approached me early in the morning and told me she had helped me to buy fresh tofu and a packet of mock chicken. How sweet of her to do so.

Vegetarian Princess Chicken
I think I like its Chinese name better. It is called 贵妃鸡 (Gui Fei Ji). A 贵妃 is an Emperor's consort of the highest ranking, so it has a very regal and beautiful feel to it. Lol. Anyway, this Malaysian-made product is manufactured of textured soybean protein, soy bean, vegetable oil and vegetarian seasoning. A packet is 450g and cost RM7.00.

It looks like chicken nuggets, and it has a soft, springy texture.
Lol. You'd wonder what's so regal-looking about these, huh??

Fresh tofu from the market, and soaked in water.
T** told me that this Tofu Auntie makes her own tofu and that she sets up her stall at 2.00 a.m. every morning. I'm really baffled!!

So I decided to replicate T**'s recipe the other day. What I did was pretty effortless. I dumped the mock chicken pieces into a pot. Then I tore the tofu into huge chunks and threw them into the pot as well. I poured in about 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar and a cup of water. This I stewed for about an hour over very low fire before adding some snow peas, just for colouring. As I was about to serve, I drizzled a bit of sesame oil for flavouring.

Braised Tofu & Mock Chicken
Well, I must say that it tasted quite good. The soft tofu retained its soy flavour despite being braised for so long. The vegetarian chicken with its distinctive savoury taste was chewy, while the snow peas gave the dish a crunchy texture.

It's certainly the first time I've ever cooked vegetarian, thanks to T** who is not only a devout Buddhist, but also a Green Warrior - our very own Captain Planet in the school. She is passionate about recycling, and is the one who always gets her hands dirty sorting out plastic containers and aluminium cans. She is now also actively promoting vegetarianism to us colleagues, I suppose. After all, going vegetarian is the easiest and quickest way to lower the carbon footprint, reduce pollution, and save energy and water.

To be honest, I'm not ready to go fully vegetarian, and I am quite happy to explore cooking yummy and easy vegetarian dishes. Actually, I can't wait to cook for Grandma when I get home as she eats vegetarian food on the first and fifteenth day of the lunar month. ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...