Saturday, February 18, 2012

Healthy Snacking

Snack healthy, I keep reminding myself. Rather than the usual potato chips or corn chips or corn puffs or prawn crackers, I now force myself to go for healthier options.

It does not mean to say that I'm now shunning those chips and crackers which I so love. I'm merely cutting back of all the empty calories that I will consume alongside the MSG and sodium. I suppose it is still alright to eat some once in a while. ;p

But well, healthy snacks aren't very widespread in this part of the world. Overseas, I will be able to get lots of natural roasted nuts and dried fruits at the supermarket. In fact, the bulk food section is one of my favourite sections at supermarkets in New Zealand. One of the brands is Alison's Pantry, which sells a large selection of the freshest blend of cereals, nuts, fruits and snacks.

When I was there in New Zealand last June, I bought these mixed fruits and nuts.

Natural dried fruits with a selection of nuts
See how fresh and yum they are ~ pecans, hazel nuts, almonds, peanuts, mixed dried fruits, and carob coated raisins. Just heavenly!

Unfortunately, supermarkets over here in Malaysia only sells snacks like muruku, peanuts, preserved plums, and biscuits at its bulk food sections.

At Ta Kiong Supermarket today, the best option I got would be

Tong Garden Cocktail Snack
185g @ RM11.90

and

Camel Natural Sweet & Nutty Mix
150g @ RM12.30

The Tong Garden Cocktail Snack contains a mixture of figs, black raisins, cashews, almonds, pistachio kernels and green raisins.

Tong Garden Cocktail Snack

But you can see that it has more fruits than nuts. According to the package however, the ratio is 52% fruits to 48% nuts.

On the other hand, the Camel Natural Sweet & Nutty Mix has dates, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and raisins.

Camel Natural Sweet & Nutty Mix

Of the two, I prefer the Camel Natural Sweet & Nutty Mix. It really does have a natural feel to it, with its air-roasted nuts and sun-dried fruits. I do feel that it is far better in quality compared to the Tong Garden. Of course, the price speaks for itself as it's more expensive too.

Anyway, these snacks, when consumed in moderation, are good energy boosters in between meals. Since I'm peckish most of the time, I hope that these fruits and nuts will satisfy me and stop me from craving potato chips and prawn crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...