Thursday, February 16, 2012

Vegetarian Delights

My colleague, T** is a vegetarian. She has been one for a few years. Lately, she has been bringing her own lunches to school. And we marvel at the variety of vegetarian dishes that she prepares for lunch.

Last week, I had the honour of trying her Vegetarian Chicken Rice. She used ginger and mock chicken and sesame oil to cook the rice. The result was a very fragrant rice, which was infused with flavours of the ingredients. I was surprised that Vegetarian Chicken Rice could taste so good.

Today, T** made a Kelp Salad and gave me some. She bought the pre-shredded kelp, then boiled it in water to rid it of the strong smell. The kelp was drained of water and then seasoned with salt, sesame oil and a bit of lime juice. She topped it off with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.

Kelp Salad

A taste of the Kelp Salad and I was totally won over. It was very rich and fragrant with the taste of sesame oil, and the tangy lime made it very refreshing. Delicious! I want to make some for myself soon!

For her own lunch, she made a Vegetarian Tom Yum Medley. She used many types of vegetables and soy sheets.

Vegetarian Tom Yum Medley

T** told me that she's a very picky eater, and she would go all out to cook yummy vegetarian dishes to please her palate. She even had bothered to add lemon grass into her Tom Yum. I had a bit and found that it was full of flavour - fragrant, sour and spicy. Interesting indeed!

Well, I am just discovering through T** how colourful a vegetarian meal can be. She gave me some suggestions, one of them being Steamed Assorted Mushrooms with Wolfberries and Basil. It sure sounds good and I do hope that I will one day be able to experiment cooking this dish. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...