Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vegetarian Mee Suah

I love Mee Suah or flour vermicelli, and I usually have it served with a chicken soup. Today, however, I decided to experiment and cook it the vegetarian way. The result? Well, I myself was surprised as the whole combination tasted fantastic.

All I did was braise good quality shiitake mushrooms with tofu and vegetarian chicken in a soy sauce, sugar and water mixture. Braise till the broth thickened and reduced. Then in a separate pot, I blanched some Mee Suah and some vegetables. Drain and place noodles and vegetables in a serving plate, drizzle some sesame oil before pouring everything else on top.

Vegetarian Mee Suah

Well, I suppose it tasted great because of the mushrooms, which gave the whole dish a very rich and robust flavour. The slightly salty Mee Suah, when coated with thick soy broth really enhanced the taste of the whole dish. Though it appeared simple, the assortment of ingredients brought to it a lot of different textures - the mushrooms tender, the tofu soft, the vegetarian chicken chewy and the vegetables crunchy. How wonderful is that!

What's more fascinating was that it's totally meatless! I must really thank my colleague, T** for inducting me to Vegetarian cooking. I've more to learn yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...