Monday, July 6, 2009

My Thoughts on The Little Nyonya

I'd finished watching The Little Nyonya. It gave me a lot of angst, especially where Yueniang and Chenxi's relationship was concerned. They faced obstacles at every turn, and ended up separated from each other.

What irritated me was the fact that Yueniang rejected Chenxi time and again. I understood her refusal to elope with Chenxi, after Yuzhu was raped. To make it up to Yuzhu, she decided that she wanted to bow out from the relationship ,and made Chenxi promise to marry Yuzhu.

But after that, it became inevitable for Yuzhu to marry Robert Zhang. Why did Yueniang still refuse Chenxi? Sure, Chenxi was married to Zhenzhu already and divorce was frowned upon in the 1950's. But then again, Chenxi ended up divorcing Zhenzhu and marrying Libby after all. If Chenxi were to marry someone else, I think that someone else should have been Yueniang.

Yueniang was supposed to be someone who did not submit to fate. She was married off to Liu Yi Dao, and yet she refused to become his wife. If she was so defiant, then why couldn't she defy all circumstances and married Chenxi?

Of course, there was a 3-minute final chapter which justified why Yueniang and Chenxi could not be together. Sadly, it did nothing to appease me. I still wanted Yueniang and Chenxi to end up together so that Yuzhu would not have sacrificed in vain.

Other than that, I found it unbelievable that Yueniang escaped the fire unscathed. In reality, if I'd gotten out from a fire that massive, I would run straight into the arms of my loved ones. I would want to assure them that I was safe and unhurt. Yueniang did the exact opposite by hiding from Chenxi, the fact that she was still alive. How cruel she was, I thought.

Anyway, I loved all the Yueniang and Chenxi scenes. They make a nice looking couple. Don't you think so? Jeanette and Yuwu did exude onscreen chemistry, perhaps due to the fact that they had co-operated in other dramas many times before The Little Nyonya.

My favourite scenes :
1) Yueniang and Chenxi's witty wordplay at her backyard. She demanded him to return her chicken soup, and he told her that he was a poor chaffeur.

2) Yueniang and Chenxi met up on the streets after the kidnapping incident - he wanted to ask for her hand and she coyly told him that he'd have to get the approval of Tao Jie and her Ma Ma.

3) Yueniang and Chenxi singing pantun by Chor chor's bedside. I thought it was so poignant.

So, I would agree with Aunt that the ending has to be re-written. For all their trials and tribulations, Yueniang and Chenxi deserved a happily-ever-after ending.

The ending should have been like this!!

5 comments:

  1. hmm, thr have been few endings for this series... according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Nyonya#Alternate_ending

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, yes, a few endings were drafted. But only one was chosen - YN and CX separated. When people complained, they filmed and broadcasted a 3-minute capsule explaining why these two could not be together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes,i agree with you..I am watching the show properly 10 years after it first came out,and altho i know Yueniang is supposed to be the heroine of the story I just feel irritated at her stubborness .I liked the character Yuzhu and feel very sorry for the way things turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it, but I think the writers got lost along the way. Yueniang made Xin promise to ask her hand in marriage and not let anything get in the way of that no matter what the cost. Ok, what happened then? She was so worried about everyone else except the one person she cared most about? After a while this was just too annoying. I was thinking she is the worst thing that could ever happen to a guy - keep leading him on, torturing him at every step of the way - why because someone in the world might be unhappy, so she can't possibly be happy then herself.
    I did like the grandma granddaughter conclusion though, I thought that was good. I also liked the way they played to the Cinderella theme with the evil step sisters and all, but didn't let the evil become to silly, and always found a way to keep the evil going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dissapounting last episode. So abrupt and poorly written script. No relevance to the main story line. No smooth and believable ending to what was a brilliant drama. Shame on you screen writers and directors. Poorly conceived ending. Back to writing school and learn a few more skills from profesdionals.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...